Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Zatarain's Big Game Cravebox Review

I’ll start this post under full disclosure that I did end up receiving a full refund for this box. This Cravebox was advertised as a “Game Day” (meaning Super Bowl) box and although there was no guarantee that your box would arrive by Super Bowl Sunday, I at least expected it to arrive +/- a few days. It took over two weeks (maybe closer to three) for my box to arrive and well after the big game. This is highly unusual for Cravebox because normally their shipping is pretty fast.

I originally chose not to opt in for this box because it sounded like a lot of New Orleans/Zatarain’s items and I couldn’t justify paying $15 for a box of stuff I wasn’t sure I would like. However, Cravebox sent out an email later saying they were super sizing (aka doubling) each of the boxes so you would essentially get two of these boxes for the price of one. Being the sucker that I am, of course this convinced me to opt in.

Contents of the box:
2 boxes of Zatarain’s Jambalaya Mix
2 boxes of Zatarain’s Red Beans and Rice
2 containers of True lemon Iced Tea Mix
2 containers of Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning
2 jars of Zatarain’s Creole Mustard
Mardi Gras Beads


First impression, I would not have been happy paying $15 for half of this box’s contents. I’m definitely glad they decided to super size it. I’ve already tried to True Lemon Iced Tea and it is pretty citrus-y and has a strong lemon flavor. PB definitely did not like it. Next time I make it I will add some Splenda or another sweetener to give it a sweeter flavor.


 
I’m most excited to try the Jambalaya Mix and Red Beans and Rice. I’ve never had either of these before and they sound really easy to make. I’ll probably pick up some sausage to add to the Jambalaya Mix. I’ll keep you posted on the results.


Overall, if I HAD paid $15 I would have been satisfied with the contents of this box but not wowed. Cravebox is getting less crave-worthy and I’m starting to question whether I will enter more drawings for their boxes. I’m very pleased with their customer service; they responded to my email about my delayed box the same day and resolved the situation for me immediately. Good customer service goes a long way in my book so I am definitely not counting Cravebox out of future subscription box purchases.

Disclosure: All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment